[Novalug] Kernel Compiles

Nino Pereira pereira@speakeasy.net
Tue Apr 13 20:28:30 EDT 2010

> I could piggy-back this on any storage talk.  I seriously doubt
> it would take up more than 15-30 minutes.

even later to the thread, and starting at a lower level than Greg, I would
also be curious about how all this kernel stuff works. I very much doubt
that 30 minutes is sufficient to explain what's going on to non-professional
users of linux. I for one have always found the kernel and the boot process
rather mysterious. I'm always happy when I get a nice colorful screen
again after a reboot, and I can sign in, and all works as it used to.
But understanding what all's going on? no, sorry.

So, I'd second Greg's suggestion for a talk on this topic that
actually touches on some of the basics, so that marginally computer-literate
people like myself can follow it. I realize this might be boring to
experts, but it's clear from this thread that they would keep themselves
amused, from throwing out smarmy comments to the presenter to starting
arguments with other attendees.

;-)

Nino