[Novalug] Platter density hits 375GB/platter, 320GB/platter drops to 12.5 cents/GB ...

Clif Flynt clif@cflynt.com
Tue Apr 6 19:49:18 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 06:30:53PM +0000, jecottrell3@comcast.net wrote:

> Which leads us to the whimsical subject of Stripped/Mirrored/RAIDed
> flash drives. I guess I'm never gonna get to build that Terabyte Floppy
> Disk Array, but my Wall of Flash (32 32G flash drives) is actually
> doable, if stupid.

  I dunno about terrabit, but back inna '80s Burroughs experimented
with columns of floppy disks spinning at 3000+ rpm.  At that speed
the floppy disk is effectively a rigid disk.

  However, a little jiggle (say a truck going by) would cause a small
head crash, which would make a tiny ding on a metal disk.

  This makes a foosh-worth of black confetti to a floppy disk spinning
at 3000 rpm.

  There are reasons this product never saw the market.

  Clif

--
... Clif Flynt ... http://www.cwflynt.com ... clif@cflynt.com ...
.. Tcl/Tk: A Developer's Guide (2nd edition) - Morgan Kauffman ..