[Novalug] xinetd (solaris!) issues

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Tue Apr 6 19:31:05 EDT 2010

jecottrell3@comcast.net wrote:
> While I am sure that you are correct*, this Just Seems Wrong...using an Unreliable Data Protocol (yes, I know the U stands for Users, but how many of THEM are reliable?) to make Reliable Data Backups.
>
> JIM
>
> * Yes, Friends Jon's name appears on Page 129 (I think) of O'Reilly's Backup and Recovery book,
> http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596102463/
> Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a Celebrity in our midst!

All of that was correct.  I had the right xinetd settings, everything
was running. The issue was a little sneaky something else that was
running. A certain ipf. Someone installed ipf in a strange location, no
startup scripts, and had it running. I swear I did a ps -elf and looked
but didn't see it. One minor change and a restart to ipf and all is
well. I'm not even certain ipf is needed but since I did not build the
box, I am not going to radically change the way the box is configured.

Thanks for all the advice, and the sounding board.

Nick