[Novalug] Verizon port 25

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Mon Sep 28 10:57:50 EDT 2009

It's not just a port change. As far as I can tell, there is a subtle
distinction between distinction ports 25 and 587. Port 25 is for MTA to
MTA communications, while port 587 is for *mail submission*, from MUAs
to MTAs.

Splitting the two ports means that you can apply different filters and
rules to each port.

Reading the appropriate $your-favorite-MTA documentation and/or RFCs
should clear up the distinction, rules, and the motivation behind it.

Or, I could be totally wrong. This is just what I have inferred from
what I have seen. But I'm a reasonably good guesser.

JIM