[Novalug] mount(8) ignores superblock options?

Joshua Newton joshua.newton@ironhavoc.org
Fri Sep 25 18:06:27 EDT 2009

Right, so, I can't find anyone else to ask: why does mount(8) ignore the
superblock when it's time to graft a filesystem?  I can set error and/or
journal behaviour in ext[2-4] superblocks with tune2fs, but mount, mount
-o, and also fsck seem to drop all the info silently.

I can just put errors=remount-ro and data=ordered and that in the fsck
options field easily enough, but should I need to?  If the superblock
has structures for all this info, shouldn't it be the authoritative
source?  (I'm thinking... unless overridden with fstab/mount -o perhaps?
 --which I'm not...)  Culprits so far include RHEL5.[2,4] and Ubuntu
9.04.  I haven't had time to test anywhere else.