[Novalug] October meeting (10 Oct)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Thu Sep 24 14:10:11 EDT 2009

I know, but at least one other person did consider it a tangent.  ;)

Again, I've been curious why, not questioning.  In the majority of
cases, people have never heard of it, or worse yet, think it's based
on OpenLDAP.

Of course, setting up multi-master replication from a GUI quickly
gets them to take more interest.  "Oh, you mean I could have a
pair of masters over here for this domain, who are read-only
replicas of this other domain, and manage all that from one GUI?"  ;)

________________________________
From: greg pryzby <greg@pryzby.org>

>The purpose of my post wasn't to tangent from the original topic.

I didn't see it like that.... fwiw

>But I have been asking anytime OpenLDAP comes up for a function why
>>people have not considered Port389.org as a peer option.  It's been open
>>source for the past five (5) years, all components for the last four (4).  Again,
>>that's not questioning, just asking -- i.e., trying to figure out why Port389.org
>>doesn't get more exposure.

Terrible marketing. Nobody knows about it. It is a secret.

One idea would be to put together a basic talk (history, what it does, why to use it, simple example) and submit the abstract to EVERY computer conference.

feel free to contact me directly (off list) and I am happy to help.