[Novalug] October meeting (10 Oct)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Thu Sep 24 13:55:04 EDT 2009

greg pryzby wrote:
> A FreeIPA talk would be amazing ;)

The purpose of my post wasn't to tangent from the original topic.

But I have been asking anytime OpenLDAP comes up for a function why
people have not considered Port389.org as a peer option.  It's been open
source for the past five (5) years, all components for the last four (4).  Again,
that's not questioning, just asking -- i.e., trying to figure out why Port389.org
doesn't get more exposure.

Comments like people believing Port389.org fka Fedora Directory Server
(FDS) being based on OpenLDAP, is part of the problem, I'm sure.  In reality,
everything except for Novell is based on the original Michigan LDAP code,
with Port389.org being the direct lineage of the original developers (who
were hired away by Netscape).

In my exposure it has been former iPlanet and Sun One shops that opt for
it, or those that are considering Red Hat Directory Server (DS) subscriptions,
but are piloting, prototyping or plan on purchasing subscriptions when they
are operating more in the black, since Port389.org natively peer replicates
with DS.

But yeah, SOHO and SMB environments should really be considering
FreeIPA as an option, especially if they have Windows systems as well,
considering the schema switch and other details.