[Novalug] WLAN RF Kill Switch tied to specific Mini-PCIe slot?

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Wed Sep 23 23:02:48 EDT 2009

Just got in my half-length Mini-PCIe WLAN card, an Intel 512AN_HWM.  My
existing is a full-length 512AN_AWM card.  The reason I am trying the
HWM version is because the mounts in my Gateway P-7811FX are one full
length, one half length, even though there's room for two full lengths.
The mounts that secure the cards are always important in anything that
is portable, especially since Mini-PCIe slots are like SO-DIMMs in that
they "slide in and are secured down," but with screws instead of plastic
tabs.

Well, found out very quickly that my WLAN RF Kill Switch seems to be
tied to the original slot ...

04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100

If I place it here ...

03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100

It doesn't work.  I tried both cards in the slot to no avail.  Then I
tried both cards in both slots, and it works.  I can even connect using
the 03:00.0 (half) card specifically, with the 04:00.0 (full/original)
card no used/connected.  This is the case in both Linux and Vista.

So it seems the RF Kill switch is tied to the PCI 04:00.0 slot and won't
work with a WLAN only in 03:00.0.  Either that, or it has some "chain
logic" that "some card" has to be in 04:00.0.  That's highly unlikely
since PCIe is supposed to be logically separate channels, but it could
be some sort of power or other chaining.

I'll get to test that theory when my 64GB NAND EEPROM SSD full-length
mini-PCI card arrives on Friday.  We'll see if the kill switch works for
03:00.0 (half) as long as something is in the 04:00.0 (original).
Otherwise I might be putting the SSD in the half-slot and it won't be
secured well.  Not ideal, but I'll consider it if it comes to that.

--
Bryan J  Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:       http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith