[Novalug] Kickstart questions

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Wed Sep 23 21:52:48 EDT 2009

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:21:48 -0700 (PDT)
"Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@ieee.org> wrote:

> 2) Remember there are two parts to networking, the
> networking configuration _before_ the Kickstart file loads,
> and then the network configuration in the Kickstart file.
> So any "network" line in the Kickstart file won't help you
> if it can't load the Kickstart file.  ;)

You know, that just jogged something. Maybe if I give the network a
config on the grub prompt too, I can get the network to start up at
grub then it should be active at the end of the kickstart.

> Personally I always put everything on a HTTP server,
> including kickstart files, so I never have a reason to
> mount local media -- other than to boot.  Heck, I keep
> 32MB USB keys around just to plop the boot.img file
> down on.

My idea was to have it all on the USB key to make it faster then
waiting for network but if I can't get this to work, I think I
might have to do it all via network. Then I know the after network to
do my stuff at %post.

New kickstart has some new options for things, so I've been modifying
it. Seems default inittab has a serial console in there now. And there
are some kickstart commands for adding users so I don't seen so much
via shell.

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd <JECottrell3@Comcast.NET> wrote:

> I hope that "--botoproto" is a typo here and not in your KS file.
> Maybe you should try a hostname too.

Typo

> P.P.P.S. The KS file has to be on a different partition than the ISOs.

Really? So I'd have to have 3 partitions? The first (DOS format,
where I put the ISO if CD 1), the 2nd (ext2 where I put the CD isos,
and the kickstart) but I need a third now where I put only the
kickstart?

Nick