[Novalug] [Off-topic] Anti-government v. Libertarian-minded citizens -- WAS: NSA Job -- How many of you have clearances?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Tue Sep 22 11:22:52 EDT 2009

No, that would be "some votes are valid in 49 counties" (out of 67).  ;)

There are portions of Florida that want to eject other portions.  The ones
with non-sense politics as their norm along with '50s technology.

The funniest thing is that counties that were butterfly went a very short-lived,
computer-based voting system, before finally adoption what most counties
have always had for several decades now (including mine) ... ink-optical.

-- Bryan

More seriously now ...

Most of the pop-culture references and media attention don't go to the heart
of the matter with various issues with Florida in 2000, or other states in any
year.  Volunteers are always ignorant of the law, and when combined with
suggestive actions that may be politically motivated, it's easy to steer non-
sense.  And in some cases, it's honest, but systematic mistakes and issues.

Of course, it was my county that heavily gave it to W., Seminole County.
Unbiased accounts of the actual events are hard to come by, but it's clear
that established, state and local procedures were not followed to the letter.
But so few people actually know these details, and the media certainly
focused elsewhere.

The question is always where you draw the line.  It was also political suicide
for a candidate to suggest that a county with absentee ballots largely made
up of overseas military personnel not be counted regardless of the validity of
the argument.  Especially when the votes didn't vary that much from actual
party registration (with most military personnel voting 2:1 on party alignment).

Again, the question is always where you draw the line.  As one Supreme
Court Justice put it best ... "the margin of error was greater than the margin
of victory."