[Novalug] DVD Burner Mystery Solved, Rome Saved

JRR energy.wwind@cox.net
Fri Sep 18 00:07:59 EDT 2009

Hi L.L. Lug List;

This is  a problem I tracked down recently concerning DVD Burners and
various versions of NERO burner s/w.  I thought the answer would be of
interest.

Background:
MoBo          Intel ATX  D875PBZ , 800FSB
CPU            Intel Pentium 4 HT 478  3.0 Ghz
Mem            Crucial DDR-400 as  4x256 MB
Vid               ATI All in Wonder 9600 XT  (8x AGP)
Audio            Creaative Labs Audigy.
OS                Windows XP Pro SP3+

Drives
SATA 1, SATA 2  >>  RAID 0 on board h/w chip. 2x80 GB            drive  F:
PATA PRI Master      LG GCC-4521B  CD-RW/DVD Combo               drive D:
PATA PRI Slave        LG  GSA-4120B   DVD-R                      drive E:
PATA Sec Master        Iomega Zip 250  -- emulate hard disk mode drive C:
PATA Sec Slave          Seagate STT8000A  TR-3 tape drive.
no drive assigned

What happened
The PC would play CDs and DVDs in both drives and would write CDs in
both drives,
but would not burn DVDs in the E: drive.  I remembered some old firmware
updates that were
necessary in LG optical drives. The LG website no longer had any
reference to theses old drives.
I searched for and found firmware updates on the web for both optical
drives. The PC was disassembled so
only the update drive was connected to the Secondary ATA controller.
Both drives were updated,
however now on boot the D: and E: drives had switched - the firmware was
much faster in one.
NERO 5.5 would still not burn DVDs.

So I sent an E-mail to NERO and they replied that specific individual
drive specs had to be hard
coded in NERO 5.5 while NERO 6.0 and higher either detect the drive
specs or develop them
from provided speed tests and so no hard look up list is needed.  This
appears to be the case in
the LINUX versions of the NERO software as well. The LG GSA-4120A was
simply too new to
be in the look up list for NERO 5.5 ............

After action.  Speed tests with NERO 5.5 showed a measurable increase in
write speeds with
CDs..... the firmware did make a difference.........

I still don't know why the Zip 250 loads as C: and the RAID 0 loads as
F: , I almost always boot
from the RAID. I don't play games so I don't have any major problems.

JRR

[Fwd: Re: Nero Support   Nero ID [2404819002]]

Re: Nero Support Nero ID [2404819002]