[Novalug] ext4 vs. ext3 vs. ext2

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Wed Sep 16 13:07:26 EDT 2009

From: Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org>

> In your link, the lowest power consumption in that list is the
> older Momentus 7200.3 320GB (2x160GB platter) drive,
> quite aged and the newer 7200.4 2x250GB drives drop power
> another 15-20% or so.  And even there it's only 2.35W.

Actually, it's even better than I thought.

Specs of the Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS) 500GB (2x250GB)
are 0.67W idle, 1.54W full seek.  Again, going 5400rpm or 4200rpm
is going to be lower (with the related performance penalty).

I know the last 1-2 generations of 2.5" drives have brought the power
consumption way down from the previous 1-2 generations because
of the number of 2.5" drives in external enclosures and trying to avoid
requiring a second USB connector for additional current.

I didn't realize it was that much of a drop.  I'd love to see the site redo
some tests with Seagate and other 500GB 2.5" models that came out
last year, let alone the new 320-333GB 2.5" 5400rpm models.

In any case, EEPROM power consumption is not as low as people
believe, especially not of the same physical size, much less the same
capacity size versus 2.5" disk.

--
Bryan J  Smith           Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:         http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith