[Novalug] [Off-topic] Anti-government v. Libertarian-minded citizens -- WAS: NSA Job -- How many of you have clearances?

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Tue Sep 15 09:08:31 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 00:10 -0400, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> Though after that rant on this here publicly logged mailing list wherein
> shooting up the Capitol was advocated...I'm not so sure the Gov't would be too
> willing to hire Paul...nor do I think they'd be up for throwing a clearance
> his way.

Depends on what he actually said.  [ NOTE:  I did not read his rant ]

A lot of people demonize what some people say when they said something
differently.  There is a difference between someone who is a staunch,
anti-government citizen and a staunch, Libertarian-minded citizen.

Being a Libertarian-minded citizen is very compatible with public work
-- in fact, I advocate such individuals.  They are the best people to be
involved with public work because they keep the public in mind.  They
are still entrusted with privileged information, and believe strongly in
it.

I.e., Libertarian-minded public servants are more likely to directly and
passionately affect public decisions, instead of just whistle-blowing
and calling it a day while grabbing their paycheck.  That includes
working for an administration and Congress they may or may not believe
in, because they believe in the American form of government.

As far as guns, I'm from Florida.  Let me repeat that, I'm from Florida.
Not quite Texas, but not too different either.  Despite common
assumption, we're not a Republican state, but a combination of many
cultures, parties and creeds.  But we're like-minded Libertarians in
many regards (not as much as ... say ... Nevada ... but not too far
either).

First off, we don't show off or otherwise waive our guns in protest.
Doing such can get us arrested under our state's 10-20-LIFE laws.  You
won't see people marching on the Florida state capital with guns pulled.
So we never, ever pull a gun as it is a minimum 10 year sentence ...
with one exception.

You see, if we Floridian pull out our guns, they will be aimed at
someone, that trigger will be pulled, someone or some people will be
shot and they will be shot to be incapacitated -- yes, death is a
distinct possibility.  If it is in self-defense, regardless of whether
or not the other person was armed, it is justified under set conditions,
even outside of our home and property.  If not, see the 20-LIFE portion
of 10-20-LIFE.  ;)

It's our combinational, no non-sense approach to guns.  No one should
fear guns of legal owners in Florida, as no legally abiding Floridian
will ever pull one on them.  However, if they choose to assault a
Floridian in the state of Florida, that Floridian might be a gun owner
and it will be the last mistake they ever make.  I could argue
statistics on this with people all day, as I quote statistics of legal
gun owners (I especially love the Brady Foundation's misappropriation of
statistics as those of legal owners).

People criticize it all-the-time.  But Florida has a history of laws
that are no non-sense ... like our consumer laws.  E.g., ever wonder why
some contests are valid in 49 states except Florida?  ;)

-- Bryan

DISCLAIMER:  I do not own a firearm much less would I bring it to a
state that limits individual rights to own and utilize.

--
Bryan J  Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:       http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith