[Novalug] Off-topic -- Job market -- Current state of -- Was "SSN use"

American Dave novalug@soupy.org
Sun Sep 13 13:35:33 EDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:06:01AM -0700, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> I remember 2001-2003 where I finally came to the conclusion it wasn't
> worth working for most positions and waiting for temporary work at a
> much higher wage, and I stopped minding travel (ignoring my extended
> family guilting me for it).  It was worth waiting for 6-13 week work
> here and there than trying to rough it at positions where I worked 80
> hour/weeks for a paltry salary.  People say they have to have a pay-
> check, but in all honesty, taking a chance working for yourself is
> worth it.  But you have to be will to not take anything off-the-table
> for any reason other than a high rate (or ethics, of course).

You mentioned a couple of very important points.  You started to see the
emperor really doesn't have clothes, and more importantly, you were
willing to adapt.  IE, you were now willing to travel and willing to
wait for the right opportunities.  If I follow correctly, that's what
you mean about not taking things off-the-table.

> It happens.  It's timing.  And sometimes you have to say some things
> aren't worth it.  And be ready to tell people to they aren't worth dealing
> with.  Ironically, when you don't, they don't respect you and you only
> inherit more of a world of inconsideration.

This is one of those truisms in life that can be repeated but that can never
be taught.  You just have to experience and learn it.

Well-said.
-A. Dave