[Novalug] DVD ISO onto -- Cannot install CentOS over 'Net

Paul W. Frields stickster@gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 17:34:06 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 05:09:38PM -0400, Paul D. Bain wrote:
> James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
>
>> Cheat. Unpack the ISO, delete all the crap you won't use
>> (Internationalization), and rebuild the ISO. There is over 1G of crap
>> on a CentOS distribution, so the same should be true of Scientific.
>>
>> The other possibility is to add a Scientific Repo to CentOS.
>>
>> Finally, why do you even need ISOs? Do an NFS/HTTP/FTP Install.
>
> 	My understanding is that you cannot install CentOS over the Internet,
> as you would with Debian, at least not _easily_. See this:
>
> 	http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1128293&cid=26867649
>
> This is just another reason as to why I prefer the DPKG distributions,
> to wit, Debian and its derivatives.

Not sure that particular comment makes much sense.  You can simply
download the net-install ISO here or from another mirror:

http://mirror.nuvio.com/pub/centos/5.3/isos/i386/CentOS-5.3-i386-netinstall.iso

Then point the installer to an HTTP location and Bob's your uncle.