[Novalug] ext4 vs. ext3 vs. ext2

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi@gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 16:59:10 EDT 2009

On Monday 07 September 2009 4:53:22 pm James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
> What IS of great use is to use "noatime" on EVERY filesystem. Unless you
> have a specific reason, atime is Essentially Useless.
>
> And I am baffled by relatime...what does it accomplish?

One day my friend Akkana said to our friend Valerie that her mail client
(mutt, I think?) was FUBARing after switching to noatime.  Turns out it figures
out if a folder is read or unread based on timestamps.  So Valerie invented
relatime.  It selectively updates timestamps so that MTAs don't freak out.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo