[Novalug] [OT] SSN use

Richard Rognlie rrognlie@gamerz.net
Mon Sep 7 16:55:52 EDT 2009

I can impart some knowledge of SSNs and validation checked.

your SSN consists of 3 parts: Region (first 3), Group (middle) and
whatever they call the Rest (last 4)

there are 1000 possible regions, but not all are valid at this time.
there are 755 valid regions at this time.   000, 666, and anything
greater than 773 are invalid.   There are others, as well, I think.

Each region has an associated "high group" number associated with it.

e.g.  230 has a high group of 99.  this means that all 100 possible
group numbers are valid.  321 has a high group of 08.  this means that
the group numbers 01-09 (odd), 10-98 (even) and 00-08 (even) are valid.
11-99 (odd) are invalid for that region.

And yes... that is the sequence.  less than 10, odd.  10-98, even.
less than 10, even.  11-99, odd.  (only the gov't)

The complete table is here

        http://www.ssa.gov/employer/highgroup.txt

The last 4 have no rhyme or reason.  They are approximately sequential.
when a region runs out of numbers for all the groups it is assigned,
that region's "high group" will be incremented.

There is no checksum or anything associated with your digits.
(unlike credit cards and Canadian Social Insurance Numbers (SIN))

Richard

--
 /  \__  | Richard Rognlie / Sendmail Ninja / Gamerz.NET Lackey
 \__/  \ | http://www.gamerz.net/~rrognlie    <rrognlie at gamerz.net>