[Novalug] Happy RAID story

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell@gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 03:20:21 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 3:06 AM, Mark Smith<mark@winksmith.com> wrote:
> is there some reason to create a partition on the disks?
> linux will use the raw disk too.
>
> On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 08:21:23PM -0400, Clif Flynt wrote:
>> #> fdisk /dev/sdb
>> #> fdisk /dev/sdc
>> #> fdisk /dev/sdd
>> #> fdisk /dev/sde

(1) To support additional file-systems, i.e. separated /var /home /
for management purposes and to reduce fragmentation by avoiding mixed
file lifetimes. (though you can do this just as well with LVM)

(2) To support an array with mixed raid levels, I.e. one part 0/1, one
part raid 1, one part raid 5, etc.

(3) To boot of it. PC bios needs a standard PC partition table to
boot. (this is especially fun since the regular PC partition table is
limited to 2tb)

(4) to avoid habit-prone sysadmins (or system tools?) from mistaking
your partition-table-free disks as something unformatted.

Thats about all I can come up with.