[Novalug] Neatreceipts??

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Fri Sep 4 10:34:38 EDT 2009

From: Mark Smith <mark@winksmith.com>

> yeah, i can see that.  i didn't interpret it that way, but if it's
> the business signature then that's certainly different.

Yeah, that "solution" is years off.  What companies need is a _legal_
way to handle employee/contractor receipts -- "legal" in the sense that
they are considered a "verifiable" method of receiving.  Original and
FAX were long-standing ones, regardless of how well "FAX" really does
provide non-repudiation.  Now FIPS compliant digital signatures, and
encryption when confidentiality is required, have been added.

> having said that i can't even get professional people to support
> encrypted email nor even understand the need for it.  and by
> professional i mean lawyers, accountants, doctors, etc.
> a digital receipt for "Joe Plumber" would seem that much less likely.

In Florida, licensed professionals are required to start digitally signing
their electronic versions with a FIPS compliant solution.  There is no
"standard," but a FIPS solution is needed on public documents, as well
as for confidentiality purposes.  The adoption is still in its early stages,
but several county and state records offices will not accept anything that
doesn't have a FIPS compliant signature, and software/solution
certification requirements are in early stages of adoptoin.

But yes, I tire of people sending my social security number over the
Internet on a DoD/public trust (e.g., SF86, SF85p), SEC/financial or
other background check form.  I give them an earful.

It's bad enough I was pulled over and arrested every 2 years from
1998-2004 in Florida (every election year**) because there's always a
warrant for the outstanding arrest of "Bryan Jon Smith," and the countless
number of people who have falsified their name as "Bryan J Smith."
But so far, my SSN hasn't fallen into the wrong hands, which would be
deadly.

But it comes up over and over again in every background check I
have.  Unlike the DoD and government, different Financial Service
Industry (FSI) companies don't have an unified system.  So my
employers and partners spend countless hours addressing each and
every one of those that come up.

-- Bryan

**NOTE:  Yes, this is the same issue that most people claim is a racist
issue with Florida during elections (because of the number of minorities
that have outstanding warrants).  There was a 15% inaccuracy rate
in 1998 and 2000 (although not implemented by Jeb, who was not
governor until 1999, but his predecessor).  And I have had to deal with
it myself, and they put me through the same "screws" as everyone else.

--
Bryan J  Smith           Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:         http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith