[Novalug] DVD ISO onto DVD media

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Wed Sep 2 18:41:47 EDT 2009

Just remember that DVD-R(G) is just under 4.7GB (G = 10^9),
which is actually 4.35GiB (Gi = 2^30). I assume it's 4.4GB and not
4.4GiB, but be sure to check the actual size.

Also, easiest way to record is to right-click the ISO in your desktop's
file manager (e.g. Konqueror for KDE, Nautilus for GNOME) an
tell it to record from image.
Do not launch another program to re-master a new ISO9660
Yellow Book (data) track (aka "ISO image"), as Mark stated, it is
already a ready-to-record image.

BTW, if you have a genuine interest in evaluating Red Hat Enterprise
Linux, you don't need to install a "rebuild" like CentOS or Scientific.
You can call Red Hat and request a 30-day  evaluation subscription,
with a box and media.  Last time I checked, Red Hat still offered
them (or at least gave them out in training classes).

--
Bryan J Smith - mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Smith <mark@winksmith.com>

Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:26:38
To: Megan Larko<larkoc@iges.org>
Cc: dclug<dclug@calypso.tux.org>; NOVALUG<novalug@calypso.tux.org>
Subject: Re: [Novalug] DVD ISO onto DVD media

not sure of your sophistication level, so pardon me in advance if
you step on your toes.

there are two ways to burn a dvd.  one would be to put a list of
files onto the disk and another would be to burn an already created
iso image onto disk.

for instance, i use gnome-baker for my cd/dvd burning needs.  i can
create a new project and just put files into it in which case
gnome-baker will create the iso9660 fs for me, put the files onto
it then burn the whole thing to disk.

alternatively, i can select "Tools->Burn DVD Image" which will take
an image i already have created (or downloaded from the web) and
then burn it directly to the media.

i only say this because if you tried to do the former with a single
file which was 4.4GB it would certainly fail with the message you
specified.  whereas if you tried to do the latter with a 4.4GB file
it will certainly work onto a normal DVD media.

good luck.

--
Mark Smith
mark@winksmith.com