[Novalug] Token based auth

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Thu Oct 29 15:06:09 EDT 2009

On Oct 29, 2009, at 2:27 PM, Ken Kauffman wrote:

> Is anyone using token based authentication at home with OSS?  Is it
> even an option.  I like the changing authentication mechanism that I
> use for work and was wondering if a free home option is available.
>
> Also, a soft token would be nice which is also what I use.

Aladdin, one of the big manufacturers of etokens, lists support on
their website for them.[1]  And there is a consulting partner of
Aladdin that publishes a howto.[2]

Last time I tried to use the token it was with $employer's token.  I
didn't have access to Aladdin support, so I had limited success with
the open source pcsc-lite daemon.  I could see the token, but not use
it for authentication, probably because I needed the magic library
from Aladdin.

As far as alternate authentication mechanisms, I have recently set up
my own OpenID server with phpMyID.[3]  It's really simple to do, but
only supports one user.  The other open source solutions that allow
for more users require far more to be installed and managed.  I only
needed it for myself, so the phpMyID requirements -- two files and a
few lines of apache config -- worked perfectly.

jf
[1] http://www.aladdin.com/news/2006/etoken/Linux_and_Mac.aspx
[2] http://www.etokenonlinux.org/et/
[3] http://siege.org/projects/phpMyID/