[Novalug] Video Conferencing Software?

Jay Hart jhart@kevla.org
Thu Oct 29 08:08:10 EDT 2009

Nick,

Let me crap on you now (it will save time later ;-) ).  If you need multipoint
VTC capability, expect to pay a pretty penny.

What bandwidth do you need?  IP or ISDN connection?

For 512K bandwidth you need 4 BRIs (3 BRIs only gets you 384k).

If you need 512k or higher, and need multipoint as an option, then the current
Tandberg product (which I buy all the time) is the 6000 MXP CODEC.  You HAVE
to buy the multipoint/high bandwidth options.

Current cost: 30K+

There is a portable kit that might be a tad cheaper which includes the camera
and several other pieces.  It still would be in this price range.

I hope this helps.  Basically, you need to determine your requirements first.
Its cheaper to procure all license options when you buy the CODEC.

On a side note, many of Tandberg's older products have hit EOL, so you might
be able to procure then at a very low cost, but depending on what you buy,
they might not have the feature set you need.

Jay