[Novalug] sendmail error

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Thu Oct 29 00:04:09 EDT 2009

Yes, sendmail is suid root, so it can do things like open privileged
sockets, namely port 25. And when that it done it switches to another
UID/GID...pardon me while I go look it up.....

Tradionally, it switched to UID/GID of 1/1, which may have been daemon,
or sys, or bin withthe directives

Ou1
Og1

But in current Linux it runs as 8/12, which is mail/mail via

O DefaultUser = 8:12

So...any file you want send mail to read or write had better be owned or
have a group of mail and the appropriate permissions.

You're Welcome,

JIM