[Novalug] linux compatible labelmakers

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Wed Oct 28 10:09:20 EDT 2009

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Clif Flynt wrote:
If you are printing labels on label stock:

The Linux program glabels is an excellent piece of software for printing
labels on label material. It can accept the label data in a variety of
formats. I use a simple text database with fields separated by "|", one
record per line.

It gives you great flexibility in setting the size of the label and
the stuff to be printed.

If you are making labels for items for sale or something like that you
repeat the entry the number of times you need that price/item combo.

For labels for irises in a garden I wrote a perl/tk program that lets
you pick a plant type and then the number of labels for that plant
and then it makes the db file to go to glabels.

this could be modifed into a more general program.

Unless M$ has changed things in the last 3 years glabels works MUCH better
than the label generating mail merge function in M$Word.

What amazes me is that no one who writes label making software seems
to be aware of the need for being able to say "10 copies of item 1, 30
copies of item 2, 1 copy of item 3".

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 07:46:12PM -0400, Sean McGowan wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> In an attempt for my 2010 file drawer to be an improvement over my
>> previous years' files, I have decided to rid the folders of my hideous
>> chicken-scratch and that I am in the market for a label maker.
>
>  I use 1/2 x 1 3/4 inch Return Address labels (Avery #5267) stuck on
> the manila folder tab.  Avery provides templates for various editors,
> but I use a Tcl/Tk script to generate the labels.
>
>  Printing one or two labels at a time means that the sheet of labels
> goes through the printer a lot.
>
>  I find that I can only feed a sheet of labels through a laser printer
> a few times, but the ink jet will feed until I've used the last label.
>
>  For pendaflex, I use the same thing, but print on paper, and cut out
> the parts I want to insert into the little plastic tab.
>
>  I've tried the pre-scored labels that come with folders, but they all
> seem to be a different format, and it stopped being worth the effort to
> rework margins, etc to deal with them.  Scissors and exactoblades keep
> working.

>  Good luck,
>
>  Clif

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:5100 Hydes Rd PO Box 60, Hydes,MD,USA 21082-0060|EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com