[Novalug] Tux.org & corporate law -- Corporate "members"

Serge Wroclawski serge@wroclawski.org
Tue Oct 27 10:14:00 EDT 2009

> 	Under the statues of all states of which I am aware, a corporation does
> not have "members," but, rather, shareholders, a board of directors,
> officers (e.g, President, CEO, Secretary, Treasurer, etc.), and
> employees. I do not understand the phrase above, "[t]he corporation
> shall have no members." What does the term "members" mean? Were the
> bylaws written by a lawyer?
>
> 	Perhaps Gerald meant that he has _participated_ in Tux.org for more
> than seven years.

That's possible it's what he meant, but that's not what he said.

I was one of the folks to help Tux.org incorporate and the idea was that while there is a corporate board, there was a long discussion about "members". It was decided then
that in order to encourage public participation, we wouldn't have members.

I'm on the board of another organization that Jerry has claimed to be a member of, and so I'm particularly sensitive to this issue.

- Serge