[Novalug] database schemas

jerry w jerrywone@gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 11:57:19 EDT 2009

The spreadsheet stuff I've seen (a long time ago)
someone starts our small and it soon outgrows
what can be done with a spreadsheet (i.e. needed
sharing/ multiple people collaborating back in
the day before docs.google.com, etc)

Or the report generation requires more detail/
groupings / headers/ titles/ etc

Usually the person using the spreadsheet gets
overwhelmed and says "I need something better",
or the spreadsheet corrupts,

and sometimes the IT department / manager
steps in and wants to make what one staffer
is doing public, or the Fundraising  "Hits the
Fan" and overwhelms what a spreadsheet
can do, (a problem worth happening but
if you have more donors than the tool
handles losing donors and $$$ is BAD)

Especially with ThanksGiving and Xmas/
$GenericHolidays, end of fiscal year
coming up and people's wallets may
be loosened a bit...

So thinking ahead helps,
and the person who was doing the
data entry/ updating/ designing the spreadsheet
already has a feel for the data types
and what validation, and with some
training on Normalization, SQL table design,
etc but not too much that they balk,
or an assistant / Consultant is called in to help...

Jerry W