[Novalug] database schemas

William Morse wmorse@americancouncils.org
Mon Oct 26 10:53:21 EDT 2009

Non-profits come in various sizes. If there are less than 20 people
involved, a well-organized spreadsheet may be a good option.

For other search terms try: "association software", "charitable
contributions software"

If the organization can treat each camp session as an "event" then event
planning software may do the trick.

Best,

Will

--
William Morse
American Councils for International Education: ACTR/ACCELS

-----Original Message-----
From: novalug-bounces@calypso.tux.org
[mailto:novalug-bounces@calypso.tux.org] On Behalf Of greg pryzby
Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:26 PM
To: NOVALUG
Subject: [Novalug] database schemas

I was talking with a non-profit today and they are looking at purchasing
a 'solution', campbrain.com. It looks fine. Of course it is Access and
about 4k for what they want and I think they can do better-- using open
source, of course!

That said, I didn't know if anyone has tackled
    donor software ($)
    camp registration

I am getting the 'use cases' to understand if they really need a
database or if a spreadsheet will work.

if they need a database, I am curious if there are solutions for the two
cases above that use postgresql or mysql. Or how I would go about
finding such a solution. I am using search engines, but it is slow going
given the search terms I picked.

thx

--
greg at pryzby dot org