[Novalug] database schemas

Opus opus@slowlanecafe.com
Sat Oct 24 19:17:12 EDT 2009

greg pryzby wrote:
> I was talking with a non-profit today and they are looking at purchasing
> a 'solution', campbrain.com. It looks fine. Of course it is Access and
> about 4k for what they want and I think they can do better-- using open
> source, of course!

Hi Greg,

I don't know of any products tailored to that particular market.  I'm
currently building a different product for a client using PostgreSQL 8.4
with a Java UI (yeah, yeah, I know... but I like Java, the JRE is freely
available, and it is, in my experience, reasonably cross-platform -
please no flames as this is not the focus of my post.

So what is the focus of my reply to Greg?  IMHO, this is one of the
shortfalls in Open Source and Linux software - the "vertical market"
apps that integrate a database backend (usually Access (ugh!), BDE, or
Pervasive) with a custom UI (again, a lot of MS Access) that implements
some business rules, policy, and intelligence.  I guess that developers
target Windows because it has the largest market share.  I wonder if
this will change as businesses migrate to SaaS and web apps, etc.

Greg, I know this was not helpful, but I needed to get it out of my
head.  I hope you find an Open Source solution.

--
Andy Anderson
Salisbury, MD, USA

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."
                                                     - Anonymous