[Novalug] [OT] New programming langugages based on JVM -- was "Scala users"

Peter Larsen plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com
Fri Oct 23 09:47:27 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 21:18 -0400, Nick Danger wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:46:07 -0500 (CDT)
> Beartooth <beartooth@Beartooth.Info> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
> >
> > > I'm gonna have to disagree here. Once you know a bunch of
> > > languages, each new one is No Big Deal....I'm just saying that
> > > learning new languages isn't all that hard, especially when you
> > > have existing code in front of you.
> >
> >  	The same is true of natural languages, btw -- especially
> > if you learn not only their present forms, but also their
> > history. Each new one gets easier.
>
> I completely disagree. I have an easier time learning programming
> then learning languages. Maybe my mouth doesn't work as good as my
> fingers?

It's all what your brain is tuned in to do. To a great degree natural
languages have the same constructs nomatter which one you pick. The same
is true for programming languages. Except for a few core branches that
differs fundamentally everything within those branches are pretty much
the same. As someone who's got 5 natural languages behind me (and I
don't know how many computer programming languages) I can only agree
with Beartooth.

--

Best Regards
  Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
I'm telling you that the kernel is stable not because it's a kernel,
but because I refuse to listen to arguments like this.
	-- Linus Torvalds