[Novalug] Need embedded distro recommendation; also possibly free parts to be had

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Tue Oct 20 18:30:24 EDT 2009

Joshua Newton wrote:

> I'm aware of the Geode differences.  Rather find something with a C7 or
> Nano so I can at least *use* the crypto accel...

Ah, be wary of Crypto Accelerators. I had to evaluate one for the Census
Bureau, and we squashed it because it only did the Public/Private Key
handshake, not the Everyday Symmetric Key Encryption. Actually, that
wasn't strictly true, it did the Proprietary ones, IDEA and CAST, which
we couldn't use anyway.

Yeah, it did it's thing 300 times faster, but the net effect was similar
  to six-laning your driveway ... you're not gonna get to work much faster.

Oh yes, it took up a (IBM) blade slot, cost more than a blade, and the
CPU(s?) ran slower than the ones on the blades.

JIM