[Novalug] best hard disk setup for home file server?

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Tue Oct 13 10:05:03 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 09:38:00AM -0400, Richard Ertel wrote:

> my current situation has the new brand new 1.5 TB drives dying, which
> of course kills all my data. they are identical drives (seagate), same
> model number, maybe same manufacturing batch. both dying at the same
> time.

> or am i worrying too much and what i have on my hands is just a fluke,
> and in the future i should mix drive manufacturers/models to avoid
> simultaneous failure?

I no longer have the reference, but I remember reading an analysis of
a huge number of drive failures.  One of the results that showed up
in the data was just what you are seeing; The probability of a second
(and third ...) failure among a group of drives placed in service at
the same time was much higher than would be expected of a random failure.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jon@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing