[Novalug] How to gut &^*%$& Firefox??

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Tue Oct 13 07:24:47 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 03:59 -0400, James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
> no, I am saying that 1/3 of the distro *by size* is useless to a person
> who speaks only english.

So we're doing yet another "context switch"?

First it was striping it from thhe Firefox package, then other packages,
and all the related context that you couldn't do it with the package
manager.

But now we're actually talking about things that _are_ stripped out?
And actually _easy_ to remove?

I guess I shouldn't even bother entering this threads because the
context will change in its attempt to "find an argument"?

> yes, when we don't have a better method, we install from CDs.

Says who?  I cannot remember the last time I installed from media.
Whether it's a direct connect of my notebook to the system for DHCP/TFTP
or use of the 6-10MB boot.iso or boot.img images for optical or flash,
respectively to get stage one of Anaconda, I cannot remember the last
time I've ever used media (not even DVD).

> nice when all you have is bare metal and no (or limited) network.

Again, see my previous statements.  There is always rolling your own,
using the single disc "Server" option in CentOS, etc... (I mention
CentOS because I believe that has been your example, unless that context
will change too?).

> or when you install a distro for the first time.

So we _are_ back to you looking for an US-only distro for everyone.  ;)

> it's not just the locale files. anything that a non-english speaker
> wouldn't need. for brevity, i am including regexps which are purposely
> too wide, which will catch english packages or the Latin-1 fonts.

Sigh.  Let me flip this ...

UTF-8 is designed for ASCII compatibility more than performance of
multiple character sets.  It's the most eccentric American encoding that
you can find in computing that still allows extensions for other
rendering.

> the list includes:
> [CDGV]*			documentation (except [CDGV]*-en-*)
> anthy-*
> aspell-??-*		except aspell-en-*
> fonts-*			all?
> kde-i18n-*
> m17n-*
> man-pages-??-*
> openoffice.org-langpack-*
> scim-*
> xorg-x11-fonts-*	most, but not all
> and a few onesies:
> bitmap-fonts-cjk
> emacs-leim
> intltool
> kasumi
> libchewing-*
> nkf
> perl-NKF
> specspo
> there may be others; i just made a quick survey

All nicely "separated out."  Keep them off of your DVD and out of your
network tree for installations and you have the "lean" distro you
want.  ;)

--
Bryan J  Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:       http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith