[Novalug] How to gut &^*%$& Firefox??

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Mon Oct 12 14:44:37 EDT 2009

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 11:22 PM, James Ewing Cottrell 3rd
>>
>> and what genius included all those foreign fonts in the fedora
>> distribution by default?
>
> Without the fonts you'll just get meaningless hex-squares when you
> view text which imports words from other languages, so you don't have
> to read a language for its characters to be useful.

and if i can see the actual characters, it's still meaningless!

note that i said "by default". there is a mechanism for pulling in the
correct packages based on the stated installation locale. follow it, and
don't waste my time with stuff i won't use.

> A set of high quality fonts for complete unicode coverage is no more
> than a dozen mbytes or so. If you can't tolerate that you probably
> can't tolerate X.

fully 1/3 of a centos distribution is meaningless to a person who never
expects to speak, read, or hear anything other than english.