[Novalug] OT: data on personal device news article

Igor Birman igor_birman@yahoo.com
Mon Oct 12 12:58:03 EDT 2009

I used to have a SideKick account.  When I cancelled the service, I forgot to back up my contacts.  When I tried to retrieve them off the phone a few days later, they were no longer on the phone.  I called them to see if I could get my data back and they said no.. So the phone syncs on a regular basis with the server, and I guess what's on the server is the "truth"..  The nice thing about the account is that I could upload data to the account on the website and it would automatically sync to the phone.

Igor

________________________________
From: Megan Larko <larkoc@iges.org>
To: NOVALUG <novalug@calypso.tux.org>
Sent: Mon, October 12, 2009 10:52:29 AM
Subject: [Novalug] OT:  data on personal device news article

Hello List,

This article appeared on AOL "News" today shortly after 6 a.m.

What puzzled me about the short news item was that I thought, analogous to an iPod I guess, that the
  data/info was stored on the device itself.    The article seems to indicate that all info is on a
remote server somewhere.    I'm not sure why that would be necessary and I'm not certain it is an
idea with which I personally am comfortable---that my info resides _only_ remotely.

Apparently I don't understand this.    Is this remote data scenario only T-Mobile or is iPhone and
Blackberry and Android also using this model of data storage?

Cheers!
megan