[Novalug] How to gut &^*%$& Firefox??

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Fri Oct 9 08:07:42 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 18:00 -0400, Peter Larsen wrote:
> Also note, that a lot more than just language goes into the
> internationalization effort. Week numbers, start of the week, sort
> orders, date formats are all very different world wide. Even different
> calendars. I think it makes a lot more sense to have one version of
> the application that goes out, able to cope with all of this
> complexity, than trying to have multiple versions one for each
> country. In particular if you're just trying to save a little bit of
> disk-space??

One of the complaints I have to roll my eyes on is that a default
install of OpenOffice.org (most distros do change this based on the
locale of the install however, I'm referring to those who download it
from the Internet) doesn't have "US Letter" set as the default.

Instantly reminds me of the continuing problem we have here with some
Americans in the US.  This "we are the standard" doesn't fly.  In fact,
it drives much of why Microsoft is despised outside the US (although if
it's just general anti-American resentment, then I do take issue with
that).

ISO and other formats _should_ be the default when the build isn't a
specific-locale.  That means A4 and not US Letter.  That's the reality.
Software should install and set the locale when it can, so people never
see such though, such as an American English (en_US) option.

And it is nice to see an appreciation for an American company that does
have such an approach.  Not just in EMEA but the far less Latin APAC as
well.

--
Bryan J  Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:       http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith