[Novalug] Bryan vs Richard, apparently, and way off-topic -- was: Video converter (to DVD with menus) -- was: Video converter

Richard Ertel richard.ertel@gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 15:26:58 EDT 2009

i don't think that "i don't want to spend much more time searching for
linux solutions" is an excuse for using windows. i will admit that i
don't want to use windows, but i have to balance my free software
convictions with my desire to get stuff done and get on with life,
going outside, seeing movies, visiting family, playing videogames,
whatever.

i found good windows software, and it works well, but that doesn't
mean i'll now ignore any related developments in the linux world, or
revelations i get by hearing about something i've not heard of before.

i quite urge you to suggest software that you use that works well for
you, and tell us how you use it. the problem with freshmeat searches
(for example) is that they return LOTS of abandoned projects. if you
have a linux program that makes dvd menus well, then please let us
know about it and why it works well. it may be worth it for me (for
example) to just have a script call it, and work in a gui for a
minute. there could be many applications for it that you haven't
thought of yet.

you've probably noticed that i love scripts as much as you love guis :)

on that note, i do have a little script that i threw together for
encoding VOB to mpeg-4 avc + aac in mkv, with (somewhat) automatic
scaling and cropping. if there is interest in the list, i could post
it for improvement suggestions / feedback.