[Novalug] PostgreSQL vs. MySQL -- Whitepaper on - From TheServerSide.com

American Dave novalug@soupy.org
Thu Oct 1 20:39:19 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 05:16:46PM +0000, Jeff Stoner wrote:

> I'm looking for stories from the trenches, told by the people who live the
> dream.

My company does a lot with both MySQL and PostgreSQL, and even that big
proprietary database whose name I can't recall.  I recently set up
multi-master replication with MySQL and was impressed with how robust
and straight-forward it was.  MySQL's built-in replication is quite
nice.

We use PostgreSQL with replication via Slony.  I'm merely a
consumer of this setup -- didn't do it myself, but it's been rock-solid
on our installations.

Quite honestly I've seen great MySQL and PostgreSQL installations
consistently over the past few years.  It really does boil down to
experience and comfort.
-A. Dave