[Novalug] still tryig to figure out how to set permissions on scanner

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Mon Nov 30 20:20:51 EST 2009

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:29:54PM -0500, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
>>
>> Xsane stopped working with the upgrade from Ubuntu Intrepid to Ubunto
>> Jaunty.
>>
> It is not you, it appears to be a problem with Jaunty.  See this link:

> The author had a scsi scanner working from Feisty through Hardy which
> stopped working in Jaunty except as root.  There is a udev rule shown
> which may fix the problem.  In other links the suggestion was to
> recover your udev rule from the earlier release and it should still
> work fine.

Ok how does one recover an udev rule?

I do have a temp fix:

I seem to be coming down with a cold so I had no creative energy so I
spent most of today trying the various suggestions and doing more
searching on the Ubuntu groups which resulted finally in one
suggestion:

I run the following lines from a terminal:

sudo chgrp scanner /dev/sg6
sudo chmod 770 /dev/sg6

and it works (I actually made a little shell script to do this.

but it has to be run after each boot. the chmod does not carry over.

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:5100 Hydes Rd PO Box 60, Hydes,MD,USA 21082-0060|EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com