[Novalug] Asking early... maybe ok Fedora + HW RAID

greg pryzby greg@pryzby.org
Wed Nov 25 17:57:31 EST 2009

On 11/25/2009 04:36 PM, Peter Larsen wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 15:56 -0500, greg pryzby wrote:
>> I received a box w/ hardware RAID with Fedora 11. It worked great. I
>> tried to preupgrade and on reboot I got a mismatched size error. So I
>> googled to see what could be going on w/o much info. There was an
>> preupgrade in updates-testing that was recommended so I tried that, same
>> issue. From looking at OS level, RAID looked ok.
>
> What kind of "hardware" raid? The hardware raid my box came with turned
> out to be software and a lot worse that our md drivers. The problem you
> need to be aware of isn't whether the kernel supports it, but if grub
> supports it. Grub2 is supposed to have better support, but it's a lousy
> documented project (it's included with Fedora - good luck is all I can
> say). I had a simple RAID0 (stripe) and grub failed miserably
> reading/understanding the raid on the system board.
>
> If you're going RAID1 you may be more lucky since it shouldn't matter
> what disk it chooses - unless there's truely a Hw raid signature on the
> disk that'll confuse grub.

3ware 9650SE and it is supported in Linux, in the kernel. the crappy mb
raid isn't being used. pci-e card

I built RAID 5 via the firmware

However, looking at dmesg, they talk about RAID 6, ok whatever.
shouldn't matter from a quick search.

There are 2 partitions (is that the right term?). it asked in firmware
about boot size and it created 2 partitions.

I think that maybe where things are wacky or maybe there is ONLY
hardware raid5 disks.

--
greg at pryzby dot org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gpryzby