[Novalug] USB stick infection was [OT] Linux rescue disk saves day

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Mon Nov 23 12:55:02 EST 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Igor Birman wrote:

> We use these programs in my business and they work.  They get good
> reviews from cnet etc, but to be honest I can't personally vouch for
> them.  I wonder how malwarebytes make any money - the free version works
> fine, I see no reason to purchase it.
>
> I had one virus last week that would delete the malwarebytes exe as soon
> as it installed.  I was able to quickly copy it before it was deleted to
> get the virus removed.  I wouldn't put it past someone to make a fake
> version of these programs.
>
> Many viruses/trojans will redirect DNS on the computer to other sites.
> Some block or redirect access to malwarebytes or superantispyware.
>
> The best way to be sure you are getting the real thing is to download on
> a linux machine and put them on a CD (not a USB stick - as soon as you
> stick one of those things in an infected machine it will infect the
> stick)..

I have a Memorex USB 2.0 stick that has a switch on it which is supposed
to lock it so that the machine it is in cannot write to it? Do you know if
this is a real lock and cannot be circumvented by software on an infected
machine?

If it is a real lock then it will save burning a CD.

> Igor

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:5100 Hydes Rd PO Box 60, Hydes,MD,USA 21082-0060|EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com