[Novalug] [OT] games for windows in linux, was: [OT] NTLDR error

Alan Grimes agrimes@speakeasy.net
Wed Nov 18 10:51:15 EST 2009

Richard Ertel wrote:
> many games also work surprisingly well in wine / crossover / cedega
> (which one is best varies on a per-game basis).

People keep claiming that but I know for a fact that it's a load of
hogwash.

I tried playing StarCraft on wine and it would BARELY play with no sound
(or only a few channels of a multi-channel track playing, eg sound
effects without music or music without effects). The video performance
was awful. It normally plays fullscreen with mouse scrolling being a
critical element. (move to the edge of the screen to scroll it), but
since it was only able to play in a window it didn't really work. I was
using FVWM at the time and I couldn't get it to render in the middle of
a screen. Fortunately, I could move my viewport around the virtual
desktop and line it up so it was almost barely playable.

Really, anyone who thinks Wine works for gaming needs to have their head
examined!!! =| (nb, I gave up trying more than a year ago.)

--
DO NOT USE OBAMACARE.
DO NOT BUY OBAMACARE.