[Novalug] Mac + Linux video

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Mon Nov 16 15:41:02 EST 2009

On Nov 16, 2009, at 10:45 AM, Nick Danger wrote:
> What works for cross platform? Or at least What will work with Pidgin
> (?) and Adium + Windows?
>
> I really havent played much with video chat on Linux, i don't even have
> the camera working yet, but I figured I'd throw that into the mix
> anyway. Mostly its what can work with Mac (os x) + windows to let my
> folks see their great grandchild.

As others have mentioned, Skype is probably the easiest to setup cross platform.  It supports Linux, Mac and PC, supports video on all three, all but eliminates having to "fix" your families' computers to get it to work, and it is free-as-in-beer.  (There is an open-source version on the way.[1]) Signing up is a simple web form and your relatives don't have to hook up a credit-card to their accounts, which makes it impossible for them to be accidentally charged for making POTS calls from Skype sans subscription.

jf

[1] http://share.skype.com/sites/linux/2009/11/skype_open_source.html