[Novalug] Accessing BIOS

Peter Larsen plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com
Sun Nov 15 01:29:12 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 19:00 +1300, Mark Smith wrote:

> yes, this is the same question i have asked recently.  if someone
> knows, it'd be great to be able to access bios settings while your
> normal linux is running.

Dell used to have a program to "simulate" the bios management screens.
Of course, changing stuff won't have any effect until you reboot so it
really isn't much of an advantage.

Your kernel uses the bios. It accesses the settings quite often so of
course the bios settings are easily seen. But I think you are talking
about a program that looks and feels like the bios setup screen.
Remember, that the bios is "hardware" based. Manufactors differ,
versions differ, releases differ, and things differ depending on the
hardware you have in your box. Once your OS has determined the
PNP/IRQ/Port settings and more, it would be disasterous if the bios all
of a sudden was changed mid-way.

Right now the program slips my mind - but there is a command line tool
that'll give you settings under the IPMI protocols. Now, the question of
course is, if your hardware supports that.

--

Best Regards
  Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
And 1.1.81 is officially BugFree(tm), so if you receive any bug-reports
on it, you know they are just evil lies.
	-- Linus Torvalds