[Novalug] ddns issues with red hat

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Fri Nov 13 15:30:02 EST 2009

Stephen Cicirelli wrote:
> Thanks Greg, unfortunately the decision was "we will get support for
> the servers but we don't need it for the 200 workstations at each
> site..."

No, you need it for 1 Workstation, and then you need to move all your
problems there ;)

> What we have working now is:
> force DHCP server to do all DNS registrations
>
> we took out option 15 (dns domain) from the dhcp
> AND
> we added the FQDN to the host name in /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> So now the forward and reverse names are working for linux and windows
>
> But, short name lookups are not working for some of the linux boxes.
> Have I messed up the dns search suffux process by putting the FQDN?
>
> we are now getting:
> linwks.linux.domain.com
> winwks.win.domain.com
> :)
>
> We are considering breaking these up into different VLANs but it would
> be nice to not do that.  The problems are covering several
> geographical areas.

They don't have to be different VLANs at all. DNS works with Labels, so
you (may) need to separate the different domains into different Class C
(or B) subnets if you can't mix the forward domains in a single Class C
domain. However, there is no reason that they can't actually be under
one single subnet. However, if you do that, then you have to figure out
how to tell the Linux machines from the PCs.

Another way to do that is have your DHCP server assign names under
domain.com, and then use "mypc.win" as a hostname for PCs and
"myws.linux" as a hostname for Linux. Similar to how to do...

$ORIGIN domain.com.
mypc.win   IN A #.#.#.#
myws.linux IN A #.#.#.#

> Interestingly the systems don't have /etc/hostname but the hostname is
> in the network file.

Which gets assigned to the hostname command. Doesn't matter where it
comes from.

> Jim, you really have some interesting ideas, a bit complex, but I like
> the way you think.

Thanks. I prefer to call it Devious ... sometimes the best way to do
things is Tell the Right Lies to get what you want.

> -s

-j