[Novalug] Laptop Battery

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Thu Nov 12 00:12:35 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 18:38 -0500, John Franklin wrote:
> Given all this, why don't battery manufacturers make smart(er)
> batteries that automatically maintain themselves by discharging one
> cell at a time to 30% or so and recharging while on A/C power?

Nah, because you might want the battery to be full for any usage.
The problem is with rechargeable Lithium materials themselves.
But compared to any Nickel, other than the combustion issue, Lithium
has far more many benefits.

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 18:38 -0500, John Franklin wrote:
> They would need either an n+1 cell battery (e.g., sell a 7 cell as a
> 6) or just have the smarts ignore the discharging cell while reporting
> percent capacity.

I'm not following there.

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 19:02 -0800, Roy Wilson wrote:
>   Aside from the obvious (they WANT to sell you more batteries), I've
> found quite a few pieces of equipment, not just laptops, where the
> battery is actually a required load or ballast on the power supply /
> recharger.  If there isn't a battery that CAN take a charge you're
> dead in the water.

I don't know many companies that purposely try to pull non-sense.
Lithium has its issues, it's not by design, but just with the chemical.
Knowing how to best use Lithium in your own cycle is just what you have
to do.  That was the same in the days of Nickel as well.

--
Bryan J  Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:       http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith