[Novalug] reply etiquette

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Tue Nov 10 11:44:20 EST 2009

[ Adding on-list to this neverending, continuing meta-discussion ;) ]

I've been using procmail since the early '90s and Evolution since
2001.  There's no, technical reason why matching more than one
rule can't filter to the same folder.  It's cake in Evolution, and I'm
fairly certain it's just as easy in Thunderbird.

I use "reply-to-all" for countless reasons.

I also appreciate it when the list preserves the non-list addresses,
because on many lists (including this one), I help people _off_list_
by default.  It's far more difficult to add them in manually.

And, again, filtering 101 with an extra rule or two solves any issue.

Now we've had many meta-discussions as of late, where dozens
of people have responded far more than myself (and I've largely
remained off-list).  I've allegedly been the "discussion topic" in
other LUGs (e.g., DC) for being a "problem," which I've now a lot
of humorous, off-list mail saying, "oh yeah, glad Bryan isn't posting."
I have to chuckle myself, and I don't think I have to say those few
of you "I told you so."

The one thing you won't see me complaining about is the smallest
details that others like to make microcosms about.  For us "old dogs"
of the Internet (the '80s, possibly even a few '70s), we stopped 2
decades ago.  Always tracking Message-ID (thanx Lotus, Microsoft
and Google ... NOT!), changing the subject when appropriate, bottom
posting, etc...  So it really matters none, and ESR warns about such
meta-discussions.

Now that all aside, I will re-iterate the following options that many
other lists utilize ...

- Off-topic lists, management lists (such as for list settings/changes), etc...

- "Summary" lists with the "reply-to" set to the original poster -- e.g.,
Linux Managers and Sun Managers, etc... where the original poster
receives off-list responses, and then posts a summary on-list.

- Many others

In actuality, I'm personally following the "Summary" approach whereby
I help people off-list.  It's clear there are some egos and hypocrites
around (sorry, but this is none-too-uncommon, there's always a few)
that dominate posting and can't stand others from making the same
number -- let alone providing more technical information.  This isn't the
first list I've done this on, and it won't be the last.

Although it is a nice feeling after about 1-2 years of doing it when people
realize I'm actually posting out of the sincerest desire to help people
(regardless of solution in use), instead of just wanting to hear myself or
otherwise push products/market.  It does take years of providing solid info,
and I don't mind putting in the time to earn it.

Now continue on with the meta-discussions and I'll continue to provide
technical information off-list to those that wish to discuss.  ;)