[Novalug] I need a linux lawyer.

Jay Hart jhart@kevla.org
Mon Nov 9 09:47:52 EST 2009

> And yet, I'm running RH Linux on 4 P-III boxen which will do anything
> I need it to, except process HDTV.  Heck, most of the time I use a
> discarded P-II laptop on which I installed Linux just to see how
> much I can do with an 18 watt machine.
>
> Since I've been unemployed, I've had ample time to play with Linux
> software by writing my own XLib (X Window System) using C++.  I
> find I can do way more with way less than I used to do with MS
> stuff.  Unless you're using some poorly-written, bleeding-edge
> code, software prolly isn't the problem.  Assuming you're running
> the correct software in the first place.  I tried Win NT on the
> laptop - it was a dog.  Good software (more or less), but certainly
> not the right software for the given hardward.
>
> IMHO, you have a mystery there, which will be interesting to see
> solved.

This theme reminds me a "story" I read recently. It goes like this:

"Pushing your car down the street might be great for gas mileage, but it
doesn't get you anywhere fast, and its really not what the car was designed to
do".

I fully research every piece of hardware I put in a PC prior to purchase.
Unless I do something really stupid (like deciding to use Compix and upgrading
vid card), I've not really had many problems.  Ken was helpfull several years
ago helping me resolve a hard drive bus error (which turned out to be the
stupid IDE cable I bought from Microcenter).

Got any log errors worth mentioning?

Jay