[Novalug] HTML5 allows video w/o need for flash!

John Warren jpwarren00@gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 07:53:01 EST 2009

It was too bad that inclusion of the <video> tag using OGG formats was
dropped.  Seems Apple, Microsoft and even IBM are dead set against the
<video> tag (Mozilla and Google will include it though).  Seems they think
their proprietary formats are just fine.  The arguments as I remember them
had something to do with patent encumberment on the OGG video technologies.
 I had never heard about OGG being patent encumbered before the fight this
caused in the W3C working meetings.

Does anyone know exactly what types of patents caused OGG to be dropped in
favor of generic embeddable binary streams?