[Novalug] scp : skip xy.z??

Michael Henry lug-user@drmikehenry.com
Sat May 30 15:29:19 EDT 2009

Beartooth wrote:
>     I do. I not only install Konqueror, but keep it open most of the
> time. I use it for man pages, and for handling my router.
>
>     Let me start with this scp part. Are you saying to open Konqueror
> twice on one machine?
That would work.  You really just need two Konqueror
windows that you can use side-by-side.  You could
accomplish that via the menu Location | New Window,
or you could split the view via the menu View | Split View |
Split View Left/Right.  (Note: I'm using KDE 3.5.10 on
Kubuntu 8.04, so things could be different on your version
of Konqueror.)

Then, you can drag & drop between the two views (or
two windows) or use Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V to copy/paste the files.
If you've used Konqueror for moving and copying files, that's
all you need to do in this case.  But for the remote location, you
use a special URL that begins fish://ServerName/ to access
the files on the remote computer.

So assuming you are logged into MachineA and you want
to copy files over to MachineB, you might do the following:

- Launch Konqueror
- Use the menu Location | Open Location, and enter /home/btth
- Split the view using View | Split View | Split View Left/Right
- At this point, both views will be pointing to your home directory
on MachineA.  You'd like to get the right-side view pointing to
MachineB's home directory
- Click in the right-hand view to select it
- Use the menu Location | Open Location, and enter the fish URL
to MachineB's home directory (fish://MachineB/home/btth)
- Copy files from MachineA to MachineB, perhaps by dragging them
from the left view to the right view

Michael Henry