[Novalug] Success

jecottrell3@comcast.net jecottrell3@comcast.net
Fri May 22 11:22:18 EDT 2009

Note to other people discussing Windows problems: QUIT IT!
Windows bugs are not appropriate here.

My point was NOT to extol Windows, or even its browser; but to contrast the approach to software by the Linux (or more to the point, the desktop) folks.

I dunno whether dolphin is better than konqueror or not. By if so, how about simply adding the functionality to konqueror instead, or )is you HAVE to fork a new (f)utility, make sure you do what konqueror can do, like accepting plugins like File Size View and Cervisia.

Does dolphin even have extensions like konqueror does?

Sorry, but I find the UNIX/Linux file browsers to be toys. And Explorer has some neat features. My company uses TortoiseSVN, which is a pretty cool SVN client implemented as an Explorer Shell Extension.

Fork if you must, but don't abandon good code for mediocre, and don't make me relearn when I already know. At least not gratuitously.

JIM

P.S. Can anyone figure out how to make ymsgr:user URLs invoke kopete from firefox?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mackenzie Morgan" <macoafi@gmail.com>
To: novalug@calypso.tux.org
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:56:05 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [Novalug] Success

On Thursday 21 May 2009 11:35:01 am jecottrell3@comcast.net wrote:
> What I want to know is why dolphin even exists. Wasn't konqueror good
enough? How does either compare with Nautilus, or more to the point, Windows
Explorer.

Eh? Is there a Linux filebrowser that doesn't beat the pants off of Windows
Explorer?  Granted, most of my experience is with Nautilus (I switched to bash
for my filebrowsing needs before I switched to KDE), but I'm pretty sure
Windows Explorer doesn't have a built-in FTP client.

Comparing the little bit of Dolphin-use I've got with the even littler
Konqueror-as-file-browser-use, I have to say +1 to the variety of views Dolphin
provides.  Konqueror doesn't seem to be any more of a filebrowser than Firefox
is--the difference being that Konqueror tried to market itself as one while
Firefox just happened to have that functionality.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo